NO. 1 ONLINE GUIDE
TO THE HISTORIC
BRANDYWINE VALLEY
SINCE 1999.
 
HOME TO LONGWOOD GARDENS, WINTERTHUR, BRANDYWINE RIVER MUSEUM, HAGLEY MUSEUM, NEMOURS MANSION & MORE
ABOUT THE VALLEY GETTING HERE MAP ADVERTISING LINKSCONTACT
PHOTO GALLERY BUSINESS LINKS BOOKSTORE

John Chads House, Rt. 100, Chadds Ford, PA.. © 2001 S. Fox.
John Chads House

Just across Route 100 (Creek Road) from the Chadds Ford Historical Society is John Chads House, perched on a hill overlooking the Brandywine River flood plain. John Chad was the ferryman/farmer after which the ford in the river and the village of Chadds Ford were named.

The house was built in 1725, possibly by John Wyeth, Jr. In 1729, John married Elizabeth Richardson. They occupied the home together until John died in 1760. Elizabeth remained in the house for over 60 years, and according to reports, observed Hessian and Continental troop movements from the attic window.

The house is on the National Register of Historic Places, part of the Chadds Ford Village Historic District and an element of the Brandywine Battlefield National Historic Landmark.

Purchased by Chadds Ford Historical Society in 1968 and has been restored and furnished. Its oak floors, paneling and woodwork are original and a good example of early 18th century Pennsylvania architecture. Its simple design, reflects John Chads' Quaker heritage.

Tours by guides in colonial costume, breadbaking in beehive oven. Open weekends 1 to 5 p.m. May through Labor Day. Admission of $5 includes Barns-Brinton House and the Springhouse; Students ages 12 to 17 are $3 and admission is free for children 12 and under and Chadds Ford Historical Society members. Information: (610) 388-7376. www.chaddsfordhistory.org


©   Unica Online